The AML Policy Priorities Group is a multi-stakeholder group initially formed to inform the Abandoned Mine Lands Fund research project of two Appalachian Transition Fellows and their host organizations:Â KendallÂ Bilbrey, The Alliance for Appalachia and Eric Dixon, Appalachian Citizens’ Law Center.
Other recent work from this program includes anÂ Ask the Director Meeting with the Office of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE)Â in Washington, DC. During the meeting,Â Director Joe Pizarchik and his staff answered questions from citizens about the agency’s work.Â Several Alliance for Appalachia members joined coalfields citizens across the country in person and by phone. This meeting was coordinated by Citizens’ Coal Council.
The group is launching a spring AML Educational Tour to share their research with communities across Appalachia. The goal of our research is to recommend policy change through our AML Whitepaper, and share the paper with communities and organizations so they can learn more about how the fund works, and what policy changes are necessary for leveraging these funds into our communities.
Updated AML Educational Tour Schedule
- KFTC Land Reform Committee, Prestonsburg KY (Postponed from Weather, TBA)
- AML Policy Priorities Group Conference Call: March 18th 11am
- 760-569-6000, PIN: 465-754
- Society for Applied Anthropology Conference, Pittsburgh PAâ€“ March 24th
- Appalachian Studies Association Conference, Johnson City TNâ€“ March 27th-29th
- AML Policy Priorities Group In-Person Meeting, Benham KYâ€“ April 2nd
- SOCM Chapter Tour, East TN â€” April 6th-9th
- Clearfork Community Institute, Eagan TN â€” April 9th
- Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky, Hazard KYâ€“ May 8th
Questions about the tour? Contact Kendall@TheAllianceforAppalachia.org
If you’re interested in getting more involved in this work, you might join us for the AML In-Person Meeting, April 2nd at the Benham Schoolhouse Inn. Join us for our second in-person meeting in Benham, Kentucky as we discuss our work, present our paper, strategize for the future of the group, and have a collaborative space to learn and build networks.